Bed bugs are tiny bugs that you may not even notice are hanging out on your mattress. These pests live on human blood and their bites could be causing itchy bumps all over your body. To check for bed bugs, take the bedding off of your bed and grab a magnifying glass. Look in all of the crevices of the mattress and on your box spring for these bugs. If you see any, read below for instructions on how to get rid of them and to prevent them from returning.
How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs
- Clean Your Bedding. Wash your bedding in hot water to kill off any bugs and their eggs. Use the sanitize setting on your washing machine if your machine has it, or just set it to the hottest setting possible. Use the hottest setting on your dryer as well to ensure the bugs and eggs are dead.
- Vacuum Your Mattress/Box Spring. Vacuum your mattress and box spring using the crevice tool. Get into all the nooks and crannies, and don't forget the sides of the mattress and box spring. Then empty the canister of your vacuum into a garbage bag outside of your home.
- Vacuum Your Bedroom. You'll also need to vacuum your carpeting in your bedroom, as bed bugs can be living in your carpeting as well. Vacuum underneath your bed and under any other furniture in the room. Again, empty the vacuum canister outside of your home.
- Clean. Be sure to wipe down your entire bedroom, including baseboards, lamps/lampshades, nightstands/dressers and even the electric outlets. Bed bugs can be hiding in any of these places, so be thorough.
To help prevent bed bugs from invading your home again, you'll need to keep up with the instructions above, in addition to following the steps below.
- Wrap Your Mattress. Wrap your mattress with a mattress cover to help prevent bed bugs from returning. You can also find a cover for your box spring as well as your pillows. Look for mattress covers at your local mattress store, or big box store.
- Rearrange Your Furniture. Move your furniture around a bit in your room to keep bed bugs from getting up into your bed. This means move your bed away from your wall, then move your mattress a few inches away from your headboard. Also move dressers or nightstands a few feet away from your bed.
- Spray The Bugs Away. Use a homemade bug spray mixture to keep these pests away. The spray is made from equal parts water and white vinegar, then add 2 tbsp. hydrogen peroxide. Combine all ingredients into a spray bottle. Spray your mattress or carpeting with the mixture to keep these bugs away. You can add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to the mixture for a fresh scent.
If bed bugs have taken over your bedroom or are seen elsewhere in your home, you may want to call in a a pest control company, such as All Seasons Pest Control, to help get rid of these pests and prevent the infestation from spreading further.